Thursday Postcard Hunt - Bridges: Over Land

 It wasn't so easy to find postcards of Bridges Over Land (Bridges is the theme for September) for this week's Thursday Postcard Hunt!  

A short bridge over the entrance (it looks more like the exit, and the sign reminds drivers to turn their headlights out) of the Norfolk-Portsmouth, VA tunnel - postmark 1953

An ivy covered bridge in Delaware Park, Buffalo, N.Y. 

c. 1907-1915


A Pennsylvania Turnpike overpass near the Philadelphia interchange.  1960s   


Next week our Bridges will be Over Water. 

Comments

  1. It was difficult to me, too!
    These postcards are very special. I don't think they would issue something like that nowadays. Few people send postcards and, from those... who sends tunnel exits? :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "... who sends tunnel exits?" made me laugh!

      Delete
  2. I also have that Pennsylvania Turnpike card showing no traffic! I could think of lots of bridges for the theme - but finding cards of them was indeed challenging! The Delaware Park bridge would be nice to come across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have nearly two dozen Pennsylvania Turnpike postcards! I have a few other highway cards, but no one was as proud as Pennsylvania!

      Delete
  3. When I saw the first image I thought it looked very familiar! And of course it is. It still looks like that!!! For a period of time I went through that tunnel daily.,,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I imagine bridges over water are more visually appealing. Although, that means that there might be a market for anyone looking to do bridges over land postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the ivy covered bridge. An overpass is a subject one wouldn't find nowadays either. It reminds me that I have a motorway service station card with an more or less empty car park, another niche card, just waiting for the theme to come up:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a service station one too! We're set for the theme!

      Delete
  6. I wondered about the covered bridges found in various northeastern states (several in my New York State) and if any of them made it onto postcards. Of course, you would have needed one in your vast collection to post it here. I loved the ivy covered bridge in Buffalo, New York, and looked it up. It was designed by Frederick Law Olmsted, who also designed Central Park in New York City. It dates from 1887. Thank you for sending me down that rabbit hole.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have dozens of covered bridge postcards! The most come from Ohio and Indiana (I doubt I'll get them all!), but quite a few from OR. Oregon has the most covered bridges west of the Mississippi. I've only seen a few, either in my area, or on the way up north off
      I-5.

      Delete

Post a Comment