Tuesday Treasures - September 8, 2026
I had some success at the Goodwill Bins last month.
Tucked into a plastic "Vera® Print Table Top Coordinates" bag were these two Chinese silk embroidery panels. They could be used as table top decor, but definitely not Vera. These are from the 1960s-1980s. The blue is my favorite.
Jiffy Bobbin - I'm not sure what sort of yarn craft these would be used for, the illustrations aren't like skeins of yarn as I know them, and what kind of knitting is going on? Laws of Gravity, can you clear this up?
I would have thought this was Mexican or Chile, where the three-legged pottery pigs that bring good luck are from. No, this is Moroccan. The clay figures were originally made as children's toys, and are now tourist items. I would have still thought Mexico or Chile but I did see the same type of animal on Etsy, sold in a group of a dozen or so different animals collected in Morocco in the 1970s. They were said to be made in the 1960s. They are painted in natural pigments and open-air fired. The stripes are traditional. The grey clay is also a Moroccan thing.
Two wooden postcards, souvenirs from the Oregon city Grants Pass. Based on the stamp cost shown on the back, they are from the 1980s.
Lots of little odds and ends of course. Dog toys. RBA (Random Bin Animals, those little plastic figures that end up in the bottom of toy boxes and Goodwill bins), a hippo and a couple of dogs. I just toss them in the shoebox with the others. A brand new pair of slipper sox, fleece lined, still gift ribboned up with tags. Some older collector magazines, one about dog figurines! A box of envelopes, medium and quite small, because who doesn't need those? I don't use them for mail often, however I do use them for stamp collecting and such.
...our Goodwill does have Goodwill Bins!
ReplyDeleteI'd love to know what it's like!
DeleteI've never seen that Jiffy Bobbin before, but bobbins are generally used for color work, usually Fair Isle. Rather than use the full skein, you wind off a smaller hank of yarn, wind it into a bobbin, and let that hang off the work, only pulling it up when you need to switch to that particular color. It's a big, tangly mess, even when done right.
ReplyDeleteIt says "tangle-proof," but I'll believe you! Thanks.
DeleteOh, I'm sure the bobbins themselves don't tangle. The issue is having lots of different colors hanging off the work. It's why I hate color work. It becomes a rats nest.
DeleteAI (forgive me) to the rescue, and its take on the Jiffy Bobbin. "Tangle-Proof Design: It holds a small ball or wound portion of yarn and feeds it smoothly as you pull.Tension Control: It provides consistent knitting or crafting tension to prevent the yarn from snagging or pulling too fast.Collectible Status: Originally popular in mid-20th-century crafting kits, vintage Jiffy Bobbins (often sold in sets inside bright yellow and red boxes) are now treated as collector's items or historic display pieces." And you have the box. You may have a find there, although I didn't look up its current value.
ReplyDelete