Sunday Stamps - September 6, 2026
Places of Learning is this week's Sunday Stamps theme.
Bermuda 1967-1971
Government High School and Queen Elizabeth II
Government High School and Queen Elizabeth II
Hungary 1967
Celebrating 600 years of higher education, referencing the 1367 founding of the Medieval University in Pécs (it had no specific name at the time, that's how it's referred to now) by Pope Urban V at the request of King Louis I the Great of Hungary. It was the first university in Hungary. There is a modern successor, the University of Pécs.
Ireland 1995
Bicentenary of Maynooth College (St. Patrick's Pontifical University)
Germany 1949
Technical University of Berlin
Technical University of Berlin
Anyone else have problems figuring out how to catalog old German stamps? After WWII Germany was divided into four occupation zones, and Berlin into four sectors, and areas east of the Oder-Neisse river were under Polish and Soviet authority. So, this is some sort of German stamp, issued in 1949 by one of the Berlin sectors... I think.
Next week will be Famous or Accomplished People.
I like especially the desgn of the second and third stamps. Ols learning institutions always fascinate me.
ReplyDeleteThe entrance to the first one really does look like a government building. And Maynooth's is rather formidable! I love how the students of ancient times gathered around around their teacher.
ReplyDeleteImagine going to a university founded in the 1300's. Sadly, for this one, I see that no original buildings survive from the original 1367 university, but there are fragments that visitors can view.
ReplyDeleteI can't even imagine attending a school founded in the 1300s. The history in that place...
ReplyDelete...each week you are able to pull it off.
ReplyDeleteI have some earlier German occupation zone stamps in my accidental German collection (I purchased a a mixed box of stamps that turned out to be mainly Germany! I was lured in by that point so have added to it over the years). The Allies issued their last stamps in 1948. Everything got complicated after that. The 'Buildings of Berlin' were issued from March to October 1949 by Deutsch Post and are listed by the catalogues under West Berlin which of course were the Anglo-American and French zones, the Soviets did their own thing. I like the winding path to the building.
ReplyDeleteThe Irish stamp image is my favorite!
ReplyDelete