Tuesday Treasures - August 25, 2025

 I went to a yard sale last month that had not only dog figurines, but ephemera, including postcards!  Lots of dogs...

The marked ones were made in Japan, and most of the unmarked probably were as well.  Perhaps not the carved wood ones though.  That's more of a US folk art thing.

Here are two wooden ones.  The black one is pretty big, and was only 25¢.  The sitting schnauzer was $2.  The little Scottish terrier is celluloid, c.1930s to early 1950s.  He was $2 as well. 

My favorite is probably the sitting chalkware dachshund that dates to the same period as the Scottie, 30s-early 50s.  Chalkware (chalkware is the collectibles name for plaster of Paris) was a popular material for carnival prizes.  $1.  The black Scottie was 50¢ and the redware boxer/bully, $1, both from the 1950s.

The little spotted dog, the setter, and what looks to me to be an American Eskimo dog, were $1 each.  The shepherd type was 50¢.
Salt and pepper Scottish terriers were $1.  


I saved the best for last!  Something I've never seen before.

This is Little Pete.  I did not name him, the Liquid Veneer Corp. of New York did.   In the 1950s he came packaged in a box along with a bottle of liquid air freshener that would be poured into Little Pete.  His tail is made of felt and would wick up the liquid, and freshen the air. 

His tail didn't look like this when I bought him.  It was dark brown, swollen, and crusty.  You can probably imagine how that looked, and what it looked like there on Pete's behind!  Not a tail!

I risked removing it and washing it in dish detergent.  Now it looks like new, although it still smells like air freshener.  Little Pete was only $1.  

Some of the same sale's ephemera will be here next Tuesday.  

Comments