Thursday Postcard Hunt - Travelling: Trains

 Thursday Postcard Hunt has the theme of Travelling this month.  First up is Trains. 

1960s Pikes Peak Cog Railway train. 
A cog railway, or rack railway, is a type that is used for steep grades, where conventional tracks wouldn't work.  They have toothed rails with cog wheels or pinions that allow this.  The most common train tracks operate at 10% or so, while cog rails can be 45% or more. I don't think I'd be comfortable on a train like that! 

Prior to 1890 materials used Pike's Peak, however in 1890 the newly established U.S. Board on Geographic Names dropped the apostrophe.  This same board, in 2025, unanimously decided to deny the request to rename the Gulf of Mexico to the Gulf of America.  

1930-1945 view of the Cog Railway.


Speaking of "peaks," illustrated travel postcards, like this is one from France, were at their peak in the Edwardian era.  c.1900-1915


California State Railroad Museum, Sacramento, CA
My youngest children and I visited here on a field trip to Old Sacramento and the State Capitol.  We took the train!


We'll be travelling by Boat next week.

Comments

  1. I would try Pikes Peak Cog Train. I don't think it would be frightening from inside. Very nice postcards. They make me dream of travel :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great postcards! I like the cog railway postcard. And the French one with the disproportioned giant woman waving from the window :-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment