Thursday Postcard Hunt - Travelling: Buses and/or Cars

 The last of the Travelling theme for Thursday Postcard Hunt is Buses and/or Cars.

BUSES

A Haitian tap tap, a share taxi. 

The Greyhound Sceniccruiser bus, manufactured between 1954 and 1956, but used into the mid-1970s.  The postcard is from the 1960s, the same years my father rode a Greyhound from the top of our street's hill to and from his job in San Francisco. 


My parents had a red VW bus when I was young (they also had a few of the beetles, or bugs).  It didn't have the sunroof though.  On several vacations I was short enough to sleep widthwise on the floor, while they slept in the back with the seat down.  This one is older, a 1960 Samba, the high-end version.  I have loads of old car advertising postcards, especially 1970s Opels!

CARS

1950 Meyra 35
The Meyra was a lightweight German microcar made in the 1930s into the 1950s.  It was originally designed as an "invalid carriage," or wheelchair accessible vehicle for disabled war veterans. Later the company made two-seaters, four-seaters, and a sports model.

The 1956 Fiat Multipla was Fiat's first true mini-van, with three rows for six passengers (four in comfort!), and "suicide doors."  It was only made between 1955 and 1960.

1977 Oldsmobile Centennial, fourth in a series.  I only have two.

In September our theme is Bridges.  Oh, do I ever have a lot of bridge postcards, especially covered, which will not be... covered!   Next week will be Bridges Over Land.

Comments

  1. You found some truly great auto designs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome postcards! The buses are all so much fun. The Meyra is very original. And I remember the Fiat Multipla! It looks like it could drive in both directions: front or back...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did mistake the front for the back until I saw the steering wheel. European cars were so much smaller than what Americans seemed to want. My parent had a 1970 Volvo station wagon, and when we lived for a bit in Spain the other residents in the apartment complex called it "el coche grande" but it wasn't big to us!

      Delete
  3. The Haitian bus would brighten any day. I like the picnicking Fiat family, not one but two picnic baskets, every space used in that van. A great collection of cards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My father had a VW Bus back in the day (the '70s). Great buses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were unsteady in high winds though, I do remember that from vacations!

      Delete
  5. Starting with that very colourbus first bus, it's a lovely collection.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Buses and cars were less comfortable back then, but it seems they were more fun!
    Our American friends used to call our car "a small car"... when it is a normal-sized one! :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. That’s an impressive collection.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment