Thursday Postcard Hunt - Travelling: Boats

Thursday Postcard Hunt has us hunting Boats this week, the second in August's Travelling theme. 

These vacationers are traveling on an Excursion Cruiser on Idaho's Lake d'Alene. 


 Visitors have been traveling on the replica Mark Twain Riverboat in Frontierland, Disneyland, since 1955.  This was one of the original Disneyland attractions, and is still paddling the river. The original sternwheel traveled the Mississippi River. 


Our mail sometimes travels by boat.  This boat is a floating post office with its own zip code, 48222! 
J.W. Wescott II,  a mail boat on on the Detroit River, Michigan, delivers mail, packages, and other items to ships while they are on the river. 


Cars can travel on boats too.  This is the Passenger and Auto Ferry on Lake Erie, Ohio.  As a child I love auto ferries!  It was exciting to have my father drive onto a boat, and park the car.  We'd then go upstairs to enjoy the view. I believe most of them were in British Columbia, Canada.   Just a few days ago I was rereading Edna St. Vincent Millay's A Few Figs From Thistles, and she wrote about a ferry ride in Recuerdo.  My copy of her book is from 1922 and my son found it in the Goodwill Bins. 


Next week we travel by Animal! 

Comments

  1. There is a mail boat operating along Skaneateles Lake (one of the New York finger lakes) and, in season, they take on passengers. I've always wanted to do that and just never have, despite having visited Skaneateles several times. Not sure if the boat has its own zip code. You have such a great collection of postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been on a lot of ferries, but never on a cruiser. I love the linen postcards.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like all the boats in your collection; I traveled on a ferry and a cruise boat on "my" Lake Como. I love the river boat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've covered many varieties of boat travels. I also loved car ferries - some were so small it was just a few cars on one level. You know I had to google the Seeweewana, mostly for the interesting name, which wasn't as interesting as I'd thought (not indigeneous). It is now a scuba divers attraction after sinking 35 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do love boats. I have been on the Disneyland riverboat. There wasn't much to do on the island, but we did love riding the boat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've only been on the Jungle Cruise boat. This was way back when I was 8!

      Delete
  6. Everybody looks to be enjoying their day on the excursion cruiser. Love the floating post office.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment