Sunday Stamps - August 9, 2026

Sunday Stamps: Mountains

Switzerland 1983 

Zermatt mountains (the most famous is the Matterhorn) and Schwarzsee lake. The nude is a depiction of the Virgo zodiac sign.  Why?  There was a multi-year series, "Zodiac Signs and Landscapes," pairing the 12 zodiac signs with views of Swiss geography.  Odd pairing if you ask me.

Norway 1968
100th anniversary of the Norwegian Mountain Touring Association


USA 1972
 Mount McKinley, Alaska, celebrating the National Parks Centennial
The mountain was known as Denali by the Koyukon Athabaskan people for centuries before a 1800s gold prospector named it Mount McKinley after the then-presidential candidate.  Alaska continued to call it Denali, and in 2015 President Obama restored the name Denali on all federal documents. In 2025 President Trump signed an executive order reversing that, restoring the name Mount McKinley.  Alaska continues to call it Denali.  I expect it to be federally Denali again before long! 

Rivers will be the theme for next Sunday. 

Comments

  1. ....I'd love to go to Mount McKinley/Denali! Trump is such a whinny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Zodiac Signs and Landscapes" seems like a strange theme to me. I wonder how they came up with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that Swiss stamp. Love the Matterhorn!! And I like the idea of pairing a zodiac sign with panoramas.... The McKinley stamp is also attractive!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an interesting pairing. Fascinating that this was part of a definitive series. Gemini and Virgo. had two different versions for a total of 1. https://www.hipstamp.com/listing/switzerland-717-728a-used/19344757/?sponsored=1

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment