Motley Monday - August 17, 2026

 Once again, an assortment of things. 

Golden King of Siberia, but the ants got into it, so all I got was a bite in the garden before I threw it out.  It was yellower than this photo looks.  There are more to ripen, just not so big.  I am getting Sungold cherry tomatoes, and a few small Pantano Romanesco, with larger ones growing.

This small praying mantis ended up on me when I was picking bush beans.  A few days later a smaller brown one did too.  But, I didn't notice until I started to come in and wondered what sort of leaf I had stuck on my shoulder (I could see it out of the corner of my eye!).  I thought it fell off in the house, but it had moved to my other shoulder.  So, I went back outside and had the wise idea to shake out my hair!  If fell off my head and was fine. I like them, they are very beneficial, but not on my head!  

At the park I saw these empty bird's nest fungus "nests."

And these fungus.  I don't know what they are, maybe older earthstars, but I've never seen them un-dry and flat like this.  

My birthday was last week, and a friend gave me these.  All are vintage Japanese. 

This one is lusterware, and if it had a black eye patch it would look like Mickey!


Ashtray? Trinket tray?  The second one is an ashtray, for very few ashes!  



My friend also gave me quite a few vintage postcards. Here's one.

Chicago World's Fair 1933, sliced bacon exhibit room where they sliced bacon from 11am to 11pm every day!  It was just one room of the three-story Wilson & Co. Exhibit Building! 8,000 pounds of bacon was sliced and packaged daily.  There was another room featuring their by-products...  The second and third floors contained restaurants.  I will assume with pork on the menu.

The same friend gave this toy to Mickey.  He says it's "the best squeaker ever!"  I didn't allow him to take it outside the next morning! 

Mickey had to go to the vet's for an allergy shot.  While he was there I had them cut his nails and shave off his matted fur.  He needs sedation for nail trims.  The vet's office was sold to a new vet, and I'm not sure what I think.  He had quite an ordeal when they tried to muzzle him, which I don't do, and he not only doesn't need for sedation, but won't allow.  They phoned me to come "help," so I went down, and of course that was a waste of time, mine and theirs.  Finally one of the regular techs came in the room and said to just go home, they'd take care of it, which they did, the usual way, just a shot in the butt. I don't know why they tried to change the method (iv in his front leg), maybe the new vet does things differently from the old one.  Mickey has plenty of issues without adding vet fear to his list. That was Friday, and all day Saturday he was acting off.  Still wobbly, and very jumpy.  Yesterday he seemed like it had worn off, he chased his tail and wanted to play chase outside.  Still a bit needy and following me around though.    

The weather has been in the 80s for the past few days.  I don't know why it doesn't feel cooler than when it is 20° higher, but it doesn't!  Now the 90s are back.  

Comments