Thursday Postcard Hunt - Architecture: Shelters

 Shelters is the Architecture theme we're hunting for this week for Thursday Postcard Hunt

Military Tent Camp, c.1910 RPPC


Bowles Spring House on the grounds of the French Lick Springs Hotel in Indiana around 1910.


Cliff Palace, the largest cliff dwelling in North America, in Mesa Verde National Park, CO


August's postcards will be Travelling.  Or, as I, being American, would put it, Traveling!  For the Hunt I'll be using the host's spelling of course.  First up will be Trains.

Comments

  1. haha, you know how we Canadians like our extra letters!!
    I've always thought those kind of cliff dwellings were really cool. And that is a pretty fancy gazebo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would call it a gazebo too, but apparently the fancy folk call it a Spring House! I've heard of summer houses, not spring.

      Delete
  2. The Cliff Palace is awesome! I like the postcard with military tents: they remind me of the tents we used when I was a Girl Scout! We had to dig mini moats around the tent to prevent rain from entering. (The bottom was not attached to the sides... and when it rained hard, we still got wet...)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was a Camp Fire Girl, and our camp (well, not the camp for my area, I went to a different one that had horses!) had a canvas top like ones in the postcard, but were attached to a wooden floor. That would be if it rained, otherwise we had cots outside and our sleeping bags. Rain made it all so miserable, but I kept going back. For the horses!

      Delete
  3. I visited Mesa Verde National Park nearly 50 years ago. It was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...and our grandson "lived" in a tent with the Army in the middle east.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wonder if that is a house built over a spring, rather than a season. Nice construction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, the cliff palace is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like this week there are so different kinds of dwelling I hadn't thought of!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment