Sunday Stamps - July 26, 2026

 Children's Stories is the theme this week for Sunday Stamps

Russia 1992 
Characters from Children's Books set. 

Dunno or Know-Nothing, is the main character in a trilogy of children's stories and movie adaptations. According to the stories, the characters live in Flower Town and are the size of "medium cucumbers."  Dunno is quite intelligent, however, or perhaps because of that, gets into a lot of trouble.

Buratino, from The Golden Key, by Tolstoy. Buratino is a wooden puppet based on Pinocchio.  Tolstoy, while in exile, edited the Russian translation of Pinocchio, and later published his own reimagined version.

Cipollino (Little Onion) and Signor Tomato from The Tales of Cipollino, renamed The Adventures of Cipollino, an Italian children's story about political oppression (bedtime story for the ages?). Cipollino was so popular in Russia it was turned into a ballet.

Karlsson and friend Svante "Lillebror" Svanteson from Karlsson-on-the-Roof by Astrid Lindgren of Pippi Longstocking fame.  Karlsson has a button on his stomach that when pressed starts the propeller on his back!  While an adult man, he likes to prank and get his friends in trouble.


Up next will be Aviation.

Comments

  1. Love this world of anthropomorphic vegetables! So very different to anything I remember growing up with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's why I like the stamps, like nothing I had as a child! While Pippi was so well known, none of the others by the same author were.

      Delete
  2. What an awesome collection!!! Strange, I don't remember Cipollino in Italy, but I am very familiar with its author, Rodari. (Burattino means puppet in Italian 😀)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment